Monday, February 17, 2014

Add Your Own Thumb Holes Tutorial

I bought my girls some extra long sleeved sweaters. They are super soft and stretchy, they are brightly colored and also have some sequins!  The only way that I can make this any better is to add some thumb holes.  They will take this from a great sweater to a sweater that they will reach for as often as I will let them reach for it.

I pinned a piece of scrap tear-away stabilizer to the inside of the sleeve where i wanted the thumb hole  so that it would feed nicely on the feed dogs, and not get pulled down into the machine.  I then set my machine to sew a button hole that was 28mm long (this is for a child, and i find this hole to be a little snug.   I actually did a few test runs on a piece of scrap fleece to get an idea of the size).


I had to hold open the sleeve, as in the picture below, in order to put it on the sewing machine.

 After the button hole is sewn it is opened with a seam ripper.



 Kids are asleep so I  am modeling

This will work on any shirt with long enough sleeves!!! 
I long sleeve t-shirt or a sweatshirt or knit sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment