We removed everything, weeding a good 100 magazines, 50 books, and other sundries from the shelves and getting them out of our house, mostly they found new homes, some old notes were recycled. We moved all the cleaners to another locked cabinet, and the soaps went to another shelving unit.
Finally, we were able to move the unit outside for painting. First we primed, then we painted. So happy to have some bright white shelves for displaying our children's creations, we quickly moved them into the family room. Only, we found they made the rest of the room look tired and dingy. so we took them back out and proceeded to paint the previously yellow room white. All was well, we were using Low VOC Glidden. Then we ran out of paint, 2 of the 4 walls still needed one more coat, so we went and bought some more paint. All was well, until we woke the next morning. The 2 walls we used the new can of paint on were all 'droopy' it was terrible. Turns out Glidden just switched to NO VOC paint, great for the Earth, but something was obviously wrong with this particular can. We brought it back, but they did not come sand down our walls for us :(
It has taken 2 weeks, but the room is finally repainted, we fixed most of the damage. But upon re-installing the shelving we found the primer had not properly adhered :( it was coming of in large peels!!!
So we are scraping the new paint off. We will have to sand down the old paint, super hardy paint!! it has been on there for 50 years! and in decent shape except for the the fact that is a VERY yellowed cream color. Even after scraping off the new paint it still looked great. My husband was lamenting that we could not obtain a similiar paint in white. Of course it was all the VOC's in the old paint that made it hold up so well.